1. Define what "success" means to you.
These general tips are the seven patterns I've found in researching "generally successful" blogs. Note any of these can be short circuited by either changing the definition of success or by breaking a content article that the world cannot live without.
Seven general tips:
1. Identify the general theme that others can identify with
2. Read other blogs regularly that deal with that theme
3. Comment on those blogs, as well as your own.
4. Network with other bloggers in this same domain (take conversations beyond the blog)
5. Recruit ghost writers to help advance your cause
6. Avoid obvious attempts at marketing, salesmanship, or poor promotion.
7. Write frequently and often. Remember: The web rewards the novel, prolific and interesting, while the market rewards problem solvers.